Bugs & Wishes
News for 29.7.2003
This is an unstable alpha snapshot of the next release. If you are adventurious, check it out, but let me know if it is working for you. You will find a bunch of new features:
- Info panel reorganisation: This was one tab widget, now it can be splitted to no less than 4 areas. See the context menu on tabs. Some old tabs now are separated into 2 (e.g. Callers/Callees), as with the new design it's better to have less info on one tab.
New info tab: Interactive, versatile Call Graph View. This uses the "dot" graph layout tool from graphviz in the background. Still, you don't need it for compiling KCachegrind; it's a runtime dependency.
- New info tab: Annotated Assembler view. This needs calltree runs to be called with option --dump-instr=yes. Like the Call Graph, this one uses "objdump" from binutils to get disassembled code; likewise only a runtime option. To see arrows for (conditional) jumps, use calltree with --trace-jump=yes. Note: The annotated source will also get arrows this way, but they are buggy, as consecutive instructions from different source lines won't get jump arrows.
- The "Profile dump" dockable has no functionality so far. This will become a profile file browser and a control GUI for running calltree processes.
- Lots of other unvisible changes.
Calltree Skin V 0.9.3
- Compiles with Valgrind-20030725 and probably even with yet not released Valgrind versions. This is because Valgrind now installs the skin header file (vg_skin.h). And Calltree checks now the skin interface version instead of Valgrind version for compatibility. And the skin version should change much less often than Valgrind versions are released.
- Takes less space with extensive --fn-recursion/--fn-caller options.